What's this blog about?

First of all - granola what?! Granola is a term used to describe 'modern day hippie'. I love being a "granola"! I first heard the term when my little sister and her friends would whisper it behind my back, using it to describe why I was the way I was. Now, I embrace the term!

This blog will focus on all us hippie-at-heart woman who blend in with the rest of the work force 9-5. By day you will find us in our blazers and high heels in our office usually on conference calls or attending meetings; after work we are either trying to find the best deal on organic laundry detergent or whipping up our own detergent in the kitchen. I work full time and attend school part time, and my husband usually puts in 70 hours a week at work; therefore I solely run the household. I take care of the finances, cooking, cleaning, laundry - all while trying to find the most cost-effective and less-harmful-to-the-environment way to accomplish it all!

I write about budgeting, DIY crafts, organizing, cooking, and fashion.

I hope to bring out the inner hippie in all of you! As always, share me tweet me pin me!

Until next time,
Polly

Tuesday 10 June 2014

Start Your Own Business!

I was raised by two working parents, my mom showed how she could be a career woman 9-5 then a mom in the evenings and weekends. She woke up at 5:30 in the morning so she could pack our lunches before heading off to work, when she got home she would cook dinner and we ate as a family around the dinner table, she would then rush us off to soccer or swimming lessons. Our weekends were spent either camping, or going to the theatre or bowling alley for a family outing. She was the perfect example of "having it all". I still have no idea how she was able to work full time and be a mom 24/7.

I spent 4 years at University working my butt off to get my degree, then another 3 years training specifically for accounting. I love my job. I work downtown, I have my own office with a window. I'm definitely a career woman by day. In hopes of taking after my mother, I imagine my life to be filled with swim meets and PTA meetings, and somehow making time to spend 8 hours a day at the office. There are days however, that I think to myself "wouldn't it be nice to be a stay at home wife/mom, where I can just focus on making a home and driving my kids to school every morning". That's all fine and dandy, but I am not comfortable pushing my husband out the door each morning to drive to work while I stay home in yoga pants (no offence to stay at home moms, I know that it really is a full time job). Coming from very forward thinking parents, I still believe that it is important for me, as a woman, to maintain my independence and be able to contribute to the family financially. Because of this, I have spent countless hours wondering how I too, can have it all. How can I be able to focus on my family, stay home during the day, but still make money?

1) Start a blog! - When I first started this blog I had no idea that you could actually make money from a blog. Money was not my motive in starting my blogging life, however, it is a nice perk!

2) Become a photographer - You will need to invest in some good equipment, however, people require photographers at all stages of their life (newborn photos, graduation photos, wedding photos etc). This is a business that will always be in demand.

3) Become a mortgage broker - After taking a few required courses, you will be able to work out of the comfort of your own home. Since you get paid per mortgage, you will need to work your schedule around your clients (not as much freedom as some of the other options), however, you won't have to leave your house!

4) Nail Esthetician/ Eyelash extensions - Once again, you will be required to complete certain courses to be able to work in these fields. However, you will be able to work from your own home. Once again, you will need to work around your clients schedules, you should expect to be busier in the evenings and weekends.

5) Open a daycare - Not the best option for everyone, however, there are some people who genuinely love not only their kids, but everyone else's little munchkins too. I don't know about you, but a day filled with making healthy snacks and crafting sounds pretty good to me.

Note: for any of the above, you should check the requirements for your specific area to see what certification, if any, you must obtain to legally operate your business

Please share any ideas you have!

No comments:

Post a Comment